Thursday, January 16, 2014

European Lifestyle in Ohio

This is it!  This is what I've been trying to figure out.  When I started my first blog, I had no idea what I would write about, I just knew I had to start writing & I could figure the details out later.  Motherhood was the only thing I could think of, probably because I just had my 3rd baby a month ago (I can't believe it's already been a month) & my children currently absorb 99% of my time, thoughts, & energy.  I had no idea what exactly I'd put in the blog though.  I'm not an expert on anything, I don't have any helpful advice or good ideas for other parents.  I need those from others.  I'm the one scouring Pinterest & Google for indoor play ideas when it's been raining for a week straight, the kids have cabin fever & are driving me nuts.  Over the last week though, I've been thinking about who I am outside of being a mother, since that's what the writing was supposed to give me; an identity outside of motherhood (hence my first post in my Mommy of 3 blog)

I'm not an expert on anything.  I am passionate about some things though, & I have a passion for old world living.  I love everything I hear about life in Italy, France, & Spain.  The food, architecture, language, home decor, & the way Europeans (especially in rural areas) approach life in general.  From what I hear (which is all I have to go by as I've never been to Europe, though I've always dreamed of going) it's slower than life here & more centered around family.  I want that. I want everything that lifestyle has to offer.  I'd love to shop at a local market every day, where the lady that sells grapes & tomatoes from her family farm knows my children.  I'd love to come home & throw open the windows that have been gazing silently out on an ancient country for over a century & feel the breeze that fills the gauzy curtains hanging from them, turning them into sheer sails.  I want to believe the old wooden table I feed my children at would have heartfelt stories to tell of those who came before us.  Stories of people gathering together around it & the simple daily meals & extravagant holiday feasts shared between family & friends over the decades.  I want to take my children to see Brunelleschi's dome atop the Duomo in Florence.  I want them to learn about Renaissance art & then take them to visit the museums where that art stands.  I want to teach them another language & see them reach out to others, abandon their hesitations & interact with people of other cultural backgrounds.  I want to do that.  I want to discard my introverted tendencies, swallow my fear of failure & attempt to cross a language barrier, broadening my view on the world & it's people.

Someday, I'll visit there.  Someday I hope to live there.  In the mean time, I can write about it while I dream.  I want to capture the feeling of old world living in my own home & share that feeling with you. Maybe you'll want to try it too.

2 comments:

  1. There's something about Ohio that quite reminds me of Europe actually. Not necessarily the landscape, as I've never been to Ohio, but the mindset of the creative people that choose to live there. There's a lot of European aesthetic coming out from over there, so I think you're halfway in the old continent already. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard anyone describe Ohioans (is that a word?) that way, but I'm sure my friends will be pleased! :D

      Delete